Preparing Boston Luxury Homes for the Winter MarketSeptember 28, 2013
If you’re planning to put your house on the market in the fall or winter season, there are a few things you need to pay attention to in order to make your Boston luxury home more inviting and less dreary.
Tips for Staging Your Boston Luxury Real Estate
Make minor repairs that will enhance the overall condition of the house, regardless of the price of the property. I’ve seen some expensive luxury properties that could use some attention, since the owners have lived there for so long and became very comfortable in their environment. It’s human nature to get used to all the imperfections and not be bothered by scuffs on the floor or dings in appliances.
Think like a buyer seeing the house for the first time and consider these tips for staging your Boston luxury real estate in the winter months:
- Repair leaky windows. Replace the panes if it’s a double pane and the seal is broken. Buyers notice broken seals and leaky windows more in the winter and inclement weather.
- Repair and paint window sills. It will give a general boost to the condition of the house.
- Lighting is very important. With days getting shorter, make sure that the house is well lit, even if you have to change light fixtures and/or add more fixtures.
- De-clutter as much as possible. Somehow clutter, older furniture, dated window treatments, rugs, bed spreads and knick knacks become more noticeable during darker months.
- Shampoo rugs throughout the home.
- If there’s outdoor space, make sure to plant some evergreens.
- Have some flowers or plants in the house during showings. Believe it or not, there are some fake flowers that look real and quite attractive in case you don’t want to spend the money on fresh flowers regularly.
It’s a good idea to walk through the property with your Boston luxury real estate agent and follow their suggestions.